I was recently introduced to low sugar granola thanks to Lizi’s Granola and I decided to turn it into a bar that I could enjoy as a healthy treat that doesn’t ruin your day calorie wise. I’m really happy with them, and I’ve had a few people ask for the recipe, so here it is. These took me about 15 minutes to make, just because I stirred it well and even used a food processor for the nuts to grind them down a little more. You’ll also see I had almond butter in my original ingredient photo, I realised when I went to use it that it was not in the best way, so I swapped it out. Therefore feel free to use the almond butter instead should you prefer it to peanut butter. Hope you like them, and make sure you comment below with any ways you think I could improve this recipe
Calories: 240 per bar
1. Place the dates into a blender and mix until they form a ball and then spoon the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the sugar free Lizi’s granola, sultanas and hazelnuts to the bowl before chopping your chocolate and Brazil nuts into small pieces. Leave a few larger pieces here and there to give the bars more texture. Mix together ensuring that the dates and sultanas are evenly distributed throughout.
3. In a small saucepan add the peanut butter and honey, and warm through on a low heat until the ingredients are combined and slightly runny. Then pour over the granola mixture, stirring until it is even throughout and slightly firm.
4. Pour the mixture into a shallow container lined with baking paper and using the back of a large spoon flatten so that the top is smooth and the mixture is about half an inch thick.
5. Place in the fridge overnight, before cutting into 16 pieces. Keep in an air tight container in the fridge and eat as desired.
Tip: You can substitute the hazelnuts and Brazil nuts for any nut of your choice, similarly you can add cranberries to give it more texture and a fruitier taste.