What you need:
225g self-raising flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 head Fenland celery, finely chop 2 of the stalks
125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
1 large free range egg
6 tablespoons milk (approx.)
For the parsley butter:
50g butter, softened
2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven 220˚C /200˚C Fan/ Gas Mark 7 and grease a baking tray.
- Place the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the finely chopped celery, 100g of the grated cheese and the chopped walnuts.
- Break the egg into a measuring jug, lightly beat and make up to 150ml with the milk, add all but a small amount, reserve to brush the tops with. Mix gently until you have a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to approx. 2 cm thick, cut into 6 cm rounds and place on the baking tray, re roll any trimmings.
- Brush the tops with a little of the reserved egg mix and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the softened butter and parsley, serve the scones warm, split in half and topped with the butter with the remaining celery to crunch along with.