What you need:
450g Newmarket sausages (8 sausages)
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
6 shallots, peeled and diced
6 sticks Fenland celery, cut into 10cm lengths
2 Bramley apples, peeled and cut into wedges
200g tinned tomatoes, chopped
300mls dry cider
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 5.
- In a large cast iron or ovenproof casserole dish, fry the sausages in the oil until they are browned all over. Take them out and set to one side, then add the diced shallots and fry until they have just started to soften.
- Add the Fenland celery and fry for a further 5 minutes until the celery has started to soften. Put the sausages back into the casserole dish, along with apples, tinned tomatoes, cider and sage leaves, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and place the casserole dish into a pre-heated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve with steamed, seasonal greens and mashed potatoes or as a one pot meal with crusty bread.